Being An Artist

It’s hard to be a professional artist. Being a visual artist, actor, dancer, or writer is a career that takes a lot of work and patience without the promise of success. Below are a few tips to help keep that goal a reality.

Fully Commit
One thing a lot of artists do is take side jobs. This is a good idea, and usually a necessity early in your career. But while you are doing your side job to pay rent, still remember your goal. When you meet new people, don't say you’re a barista, say you’re an artist. If that’s your aim professionally, then stick to that goal.

Be Organized
Organization is very important, especially if you are juggling multiple side jobs as well as your artistic endeavors. I keep a journal with all my upcoming shows, events, meetings, etc. this helps me not forget things and also allows my brain to focus on the tasks at hand, and not worry that I’m forgetting something all the time.

Keep Learning
Once you graduate from your art school or program, don't think you are done learning. There are so many classes and groups that established artists can attend and learn from. There is so much value to always finding places where you are the dumbest person in the room and learning from the people around you.

Make It A Business
The business aspect of art is something that people often don't consider, yet it is so important. Marketing yourself on social media, creating your website, making business cards, attending networking events, entering shows or auditioning; these are all thing that you will have to learn how to do yourself at the beginning. These are not necessarily fun activities, but they will help you reach your goals.

Work Life Balance
Make sure you remember to schedule days off that give you a break. This can be easy to forget if you are working multiple jobs as well as pursuing your art career. But if you neglect having time off and other hobbies outside of the arts, you will burn out and most likely end up quitting.

Self Promotion
This is the hardest one for me but it is so important as an artist. Along with your website and social media, consider making a Patreon account. I have made an account with three donation tiers with increasing rewards. This will hopefully help me be able to afford art supplies, which as artists know, can be very expensive. If any of you want to check out my account you can find it here. I appreciate any donations that you can make!

Keep Working
Be stubborn! I have had so many people tell me I should be a graphic designer because it’s more practical. But that’s not my goal and there is no reason I can’t pursue what I love. When I get discouraged I like to think of the Jim Carrey quote, “So many of us choose our path out of fear disguised as practicality. What we really want seems impossibly out of reach, and ridiculous to expect, so we never dare to ask the universe for it.” It will take a lot of work but if you love it, it will be worth it!

Comments

Popular Posts